Vermont State Police Log: Man holds couple at knifepoint

ADDISON COUNTY — A Vermont State Police trooper last Friday used his electric stun gun to subdue a Ripton man being taken into custody for allegedly assaulting his live-in girlfriend and a 76-year-old roommate, holding them at knifepoint and threatening to kill them.
Police said that Ben Webb, 28, attacked Jenn Wyrocki after a heated argument. Trooper Justin Busby reported that Webb punched and choked Wyrocki then assaulted 76-year-old George Farr when he attempted to intervene, punching him in the face and head, and knocking him to the ground, causing incapacitating injuries.
Busby reported that Webb then held Wyrocki and Farr at knife point for several hours, denying them medical attention and the ability to call for help. During this time, Webb allegedly threatened to kill both Wyrocki and Farr if they attempted to leave the residence or call the police. Webb apparently left the residence in Wyrocki’s full-size Chevrolet truck after she gave him a check for fuel and assured him that she would not call the police.
At a little before 3 p.m. police received a call and responded to the Wyrocki resident at 1461 Lincoln Road in Ripton. The Middlebury Volunteer Ambulance Association provided medical assistance to Wyrocki and Farr.
In the meantime, Middlebury police located Webb at a residence in Middlebury, and they responded with VSP. Busby reported that while attempting to take Webb into custody, he resisted, so the trooper deployed his Taser, incapacitating Webb and allowing the Middlebury officers to take him into custody.
Webb was treated by the MVAA and evaluated by the Counseling Service of Addison County.
Police cited Webb for first degree aggravated domestic assault, aggravated assault, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, driving with a criminally suspended license, and violations of conditions of release. Webb was lodged at the Marble Valley Correctional Facility in lieu of $50,000 bail.
In other recent activity:
•  On Sept. 28 reported that they had responded on Sept. 2 at a little before midnight to a one-car accident on Jerusalem Road in Starksboro. Trooper Szarejko found that the 2003 Subaru Legacy involved in the accident was totaled and the driver had fled the scene. Police later identified the driver as Thomas Greiner, 28, of Starksboro, and cited him for leaving the scene of an accident.
•  On Oct. 1 at 6:30 p.m. responded to a one-vehicle accident on rout 17 in New Haven. Police said a white Dodge pickup truck went off the side of the road and into a ditch, hitting a small post off the roadway. The driver left the scene before police arrived. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the VSP at 802-388-4919.
•  On Oct. 3 at a little before 2 p.m. responded to a one-car accident on Old Hollow Road at Mt. Philo Road Ferrisburgh. Police said Andrew J. Smith, 25, of Richmond was driving a 2002 PT Cruiser southbound on a wet Mt. Philo Road, failed to stop at the clearly posted stop sign at Old Hollow Road and proceeded through the T intersection out of control, eventually colliding with a utility pole. Smith was taken to Fletcher Allen hospital for treatment of bumps and bruises and passenger David C. Pratt, 30, of Salisbury was taken to Fletcher Allen for a possible broken left leg and cuts on his chin.
Police later took Smith into custody because he had an active arrest warrant out on him. He will also be mailed a ticket for speeding, which carries a fine of $214.00 and four points on his insurance, and a ticket for failing to stop at an intersection, which carries a fine of $156 and two points. The trooper said that two additional points were assessed because Smith was found to be at fault for the collision. Alcohol was not considered a factor in the collision. The Ferrisburgh Fire Department and Vergennes Area Rescue Squad assisted at the scene of the collision.
•  On Vermont State Police were dispatched to a reported family fight in the Town of Weybridge Vermont. Upon arrival investigation revealed that Omar Jones was involved in a family fight where two people were injured. While police were taking Jones into custody he began to fight with the police, ultimately spitting on a police officer. Jones was taken into custody and transported to the New Haven State Police Barracks for processing. Jones was subsequently lodged for lack of $20,000 bail at the Chittenden County Correctional Center and cited into Addison County District Court to answer the charges.
Editor’s note: Since this log was originally posted, a Sept. 25 item was removed because the person named proved that her record was expunged after she completed a court diversion program. 

Share this story:

More News
News Uncategorized

Fresh Air Fund youths returning to county

The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)

Obituaries Uncategorized

Mark A. Nelson of Bristol

BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)

Sports Uncategorized

High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week

See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.

Share this story: