Middlebury Police Log: Man sleeping by running car draws second offense DUI
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police cited John D. Alexander, 47, of Burlington for driving under the influence, second offense, following an investigation on North Pleasant Street on Tuesday, Aug. 9. Police said they found Alexander sleeping next to his vehicle, with its engine running, on North Pleasant Street.
Police said they measured Alexander’s blood-alcohol content at 0.170 percent. The legal limit for driving is 0.08 percent.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Received a report of the theft of some copper from a construction trailer on Buttolph Drive on Aug. 8.
• Responded to a report that a truck was stuck in the Pulp Mill Bridge on Seymour Street Extension on Aug. 8.
• Investigated a report that a cell phone and computer had been stolen from an unlocked apartment on Park Street on Aug. 8.
• Served a no-trespass order on a local couple on Aug. 9 who were not wanted at a Foster Circle home.
• Received a report of gunshots being fired west of the Painter Road area on Aug. 9.
• Took into protective custody a very drunk man who had fallen out of a chair at the Maplefields store off North Pleasant Street on Aug. 9.
• Assisted a local woman who had been receiving unwanted phone calls from an ex-boyfriend on Aug. 9.
• Were informed that someone had smashed all of the windows on a vehicle parked off Park Street on Aug. 9. Police said the culprits used rocks.
• Responded to a report of a loud argument at a South Pleasant Street residence on Aug. 10.
• Warned a local man who had allegedly threatened to kill another local man on Aug. 10.
• Responded to a report of a customer attempting to short-change Middlebury Beef Supply for gasoline purchased at the business on Aug. 10.
• Responded to a report of an Addison County Transit Resources bus striking a pedestrian at the intersection of Merchants Row and Main Street on Aug. 10. Police said the accident resulted in severe injuries to Anne Curtis Odom, 75, of Washington, D.C. Early this week, Odom was listed in critical condition at Fletcher Allen Health Care.
• Assisted fire officials in responding to a report of a bus driving into a downed power line near the A&W Restaurant on Route 7 South on Aug. 10. Police said Route 7 was temporarily closed until the line was safely cleared.
• Investigated an attempted break-in at an Exchange Street home on Aug. 11. Police said someone had damaged a rear door but apparently had not stolen anything from the home.
• Warned a man on Aug. 11 that he was not allowed to sleep on the town green.
• Cited Jennifer L. Rougier, 33, of Middlebury for driving with a suspended license (criminal count), following a traffic violation on North Pleasant Street on Aug. 11.
• Warned a man to stop panhandling on Court Street Extension on Aug. 11.
• Cited Dea Eden Vaczy, 19, of Middlebury for driving under the influence following a traffic stop on South Main Street on Aug. 12. Police said they measured Vaczy’s blood-alcohol content at 0.133 percent.
• Were informed that a bicycle had been stolen from an open-bay garage at the Otterside Court residences on Aug. 12.
• Quieted loud parties in the Heritage Circle and Washington Street neighborhoods on Aug. 13.
• Received a report that someone had stolen a woman’s bag while she was at the bar at Two Brothers Tavern on Aug. 13. Police said a restaurant worker found the bag behind the establishment with its contents — minus cash — strewn on the ground.
• Investigated an alleged domestic assault in East Middlebury on Aug. 13.
• Warned a man he was not allowed to sleep in the gazebo on the town park on Aug. 15.