Vermont State Police Log: Stolen goods found in stolen vehicle
ADDISON COUNTY — A Winooski man was arraigned in Addison County District Court on Monday on charges relating to a series of thefts last month and a high-speed chase on Route 7.
Trooper Peter Dempsey reported that on July 15 at around 1:30 a.m. he saw a car speeding along Route 7 in Ferrisburgh near Stage Road, and when he tried to stop the car it accelerated south traveling at speeds in excess of 80 mph.
The car turned left on Middlebrook Road then crashed on Rabbit Run Road in Ferrisburgh. Dempsey said the driver, Daryk Beaulieu, 22, of Winooski, was intoxicated and was later processed for driving under the influence.
Closer inspection of the vehicle found all visible VIN numbers had been removed by force and the registration plates were not assigned to the vehicle.
On July 19, a search warrant was executed on the vehicle, which revealed the vehicle had been stolen in Hinesburg in early June. Stolen property, evidence identifying the passenger and operator of the vehicle and multiple weapons were located in the vehicle in addition to various narcotics, Dempsey reported.
Upon further investigation it was determined thousands of dollars worth of property stolen from unlocked vehicles in Charlotte, Hinesburg and Ferrisburgh was also in the vehicle, police allege. Dempsey identified seven individuals as victims. Three additional charges of receiving stolen property were added to the initial charges.
The investigation is continuing. State police are continuing to attempt to identify the owners of property worth more than $1,000.
In other recent activity, VSP:
• On Aug. 3 investigated the vandalism of an Etna, N.H., woman’s 2002 Honda Civic parked at the Skylight Pond Trail Parking area on Forest Road 59 in Ripton. Police said assailants broke a window valued at $150 and stole items worth $250. Anyone with information concerning this case is asked to contact VSP at 1-802-388-4919.
• On Aug. 4 were called to investigate a vandalized mailbox on Cave Road in Weybridge. The next day troopers were told of two vandalized mailboxes on Mountain Road in Monkton. Anyone with information is asked to contact the VSP at 1-802-388-4919.
• On Aug. 4 at 4 p.m. responded to a two-car crash at the intersection of Route 7 and Old Hollow Road in Ferrisburgh. Troopers said that a 2007 Dodge Caravan driven by Marlene S. Pearson, 68, of Ferrisburgh failed to yield when it pulled into oncoming traffic. A 2004 GMC Envoy driven by Erica M. Galipeau, 34, of Charlotte tried to swerve to miss the Caravan but was unable to avoid impact. No injuries were reported, both vehicles were towed from scene.
• On Aug. 5 at a little before 2:30 p.m. responded to a crash on Beaver Pond Road at Lower Plains Road in Salisbury. Thomas J. Edgerton, 52, told police he was driving a 1972 motorcycle when he hit some “washboards” in the dirt road and he lost control of the cycle. Edgerton was taken to Porter Hospital to be treated for road rash, a possible dislocated shoulder and chest pain.
• On June 5 at 4:05 p.m. were called to a reported traffic incident in Ferrisburgh. Jonathan A. Wieman, 34, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, told police he was driving a 2004 Suzuki GSX750F motorcycle and turning from Monkton Road onto Middlebrook Road when a blue minivan attempted to pass him on the left causing minor damage to the motorcycle and causing him to almost tip the bike over. Anyone with any information is asked to contact the VSP at 802-388-4919.
• On Aug. 7 in the early evening lodged Johnathan Matson, 36, of New Haven at the Addison Count Sheriff’s Department lockup and cited him for violation of a temporary order for relief from abuse.
• On Aug. 9 at approximately 6:19 a.m. stopped Peter Zai, 45, of Burlington while he was driving on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh for driving a motorcycle with a non-certified helmet. The trooper ended up arresting Zai and citing him for driving with a criminally suspended license and issued a Vermont civil violation complaint for driving a motorcycle with a non-DOT certified helmet.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.