Archive - Page
July 30th, 2014
Vermont touts two scenic drives in the state: the dramatic Smugglers’ Notch that goes between Stowe and Jeffersonville featuring a steep, single-lane pitch through large rocky slabs and boulders near the top, and the bucolic Robert Frost Memorial Drive that features a 16-mile section of Route 125 over the Middlebury Gap from East Middlebury to Hancock.
This week’s writer is Denise Smith of St. Albans, who currently serves as the executive director of the Friends of the Northern Lake Champlain. Smith has spent most of her life living and working in the Lake Champlain Basin.
Sens. Mullin and Flory state that the Cornwall and Shoreham villages would get access to a more affordable heating option by agreeing to Phase II of the Addison Rutland natural gas pipeline. The residents of these towns with access to the gas would be approximately 10 percent of the population, hence leaving the remaining 90 percent out in the cold.
I received this link in my email today and found it fascinating reading.
In Los Angeles good neighbors were hard to find. Mostly people were busy and kept to themselves. But in Vermont there is a very different tradition and I looked forward to really having neighbors. But because of how my house is situated — across from a corn field, next to a cemetery and backing up to a back yard — I really only have one neighbor.
This letter is in response to the community forum “Water pollution: Don’t just blame farmers,” by Emerson Lynn in the July 28 edition of the Independent.
CASTLETON — At noon on Tuesday at the Castleton State College baseball diamond, everything appeared to be in place for the Addison County team at the Vermont American Legion state championship tournament.
Late that morning, left fielder Dylan Raymond’s two-run, ninth-inning single gave AC a 7-5 win over Colchester that ran the county nine’s record in the tournament to 4-0 and eliminated the defending champion Cannons.
CASTLETON — The Addison County American Legion baseball team started strong at the Vermont tournament, which was contested starting on Thursday, July 24, at Castleton State College and Mount St. Joseph Academy in Rutland.
AC, the Northern Division’s second seed, won its first three games: on Thursday, 5-3 over South No. 3 Lakes Region; on Friday, 15-4 over North No. 4 Colchester, which had upset South No. 1 Rutland; and on Saturday, 5-4 over North No. 1 Essex.