Archive - Aug 2013
BURLINGTON — Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) has been detected in more mosquitoes from the swampy areas of Whiting, nearby Leicester, and Brandon, the Vermont Health Department announced today. The Health Department Laboratory just confirmed EEE in five mosquito batches collected by the Agency of Agriculture this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
EEE was also recently detected in mosquitoes in Sudbury, from the opposite side of the swamp from where the Brandon mosquitoes were collected.
Each season we partner with the Middlebury Parks & Recreation department to publish guides outling the many activities, clubs, and classes offered through our municipal programs. This issue will publish in the 9/29 issue of the Addison Independent and will also be distributed through area schools and businesses. Check it out!
SUDBURY — Health officials have detected Eastern equine encephalitis in a test pool of mosquitoes in Sudbury.
It’s the first time the virus has been detected in mosquitoes outside of a hardwood swamp area in Whiting where there have been positive tests over the past two summers.
The mosquitoes were collected by the Agency of Agriculture on Aug. 19, and confirmed by the Health Department Laboratory on Aug. 23.
BRISTOL — At the base of the Green Mountains, late summer storms have blown the leaves off some trees and turned others prematurely red, bringing autumn and the annual harvest to mind — and the harvest season had already been on the minds of the Bristol Recreation Department’s staff for some time.
RIPTON — Friends of the Ripton Community Church will host a screening of the Emmy Award winning film “Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time” on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at the church on Route 125 in Ripton.
The first full-length, high-definition documentary film ever made about legendary conservationist Aldo Leopold, “Green Fire” explores Leopold’s life in the early part of the 20th century and the many ways his land ethic idea continues to be applied all over the world today.
BRANDON — A family of six was displaced when an early-morning blaze destroyed their two-story, single-family home at 6 Rossiter St. in Brandon on Tuesday morning.
Brandon Fire Chief Roman Wdowiak said that the initial call came in around 6:15 a.m. The Brandon and Pittsford fire departments rushed to Rossiter Street, where Wdowiak said they observed “heavy fire and smoke on the front and side of the building.”
BRISTOL — The WalkOver Gallery in Bristol will be showing the art of Nicaraguan artist Chepe Cuadra from Sept. 1 through Oct. 25.
BRANDON — The Compass Music and Arts Center honored its past earlier this summer with an emotional opening of its exhibit dedicated to the Brandon Training School.
Building K of the former Brandon Training School, which ceased operations in 1993, now houses Compass, which officially opened in June after almost two years of construction and preparation. The July 27 opening of the permanent exhibit of historical information and memorabilia marked the 20th anniversary of the closing of the training school and honored the building’s past.