ADDISON COUNTY — Vermont State Police on Christmas Eve cited a Brandon man for embezzlement.
Troopers reported that Andrew Grandchamp, 52, of Brandon was working at the Rosen Berger salvage yard in Rutland when he allegedly falsified the weight of scrap metal presented by Robert Withington, 42, of Rutland. Police alleged that in return for this Withington gave Grandchamp a pack of cigarettes.
Grandchamp was charged with embezzlement and conspiracy, both of which are felonies. Withington was charged with a felony count of conspiracy, driving with a suspended license and larceny. At the same time, the trooper cited 44-year-old Glenn Carvey of Rutland for driving with a suspended license.
They are scheduled to answer the charges on Feb. 10.
In other recent activity, VSP:
• On Dec. 19 received a report that a 13-year-old girl’s cell phone had been stolen at the Middlebury Snow Bowl in Hancock that day between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The cell phone was a blue iPhone 5C with a clear case. Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact the Vermont State Police.
• On Dec. 23, trooper under the direction of Lt. Mike Manley, New Haven station commander, delivered nearly 1,500 pounds of food donations to the Vermont Foodbank distribution centers in Barre and Brattleboro. These donations were collected in just under a week. Vermont State Police officials expressed their sincere appreciation for all the help and donations from otheir members, Casella Waste, the Vermont Foodbank, and community members.
• On Dec. 26 at approximately 6:22 p.m. responded to a one-vehicle crash on Route 125 near Route 22A in Bridport. Police report that 47-year-old Keith Farrell of Bridport was driving a 2005 Dodge truck westbound on Route 125 when he lost control of the vehicle, traveled off the north side of the road, and rolled several times. Farrell suffered minor cuts and scrapes. The road condition was described as snow covered. Police cited Farrell for driving under the influence.
• On Dec. 27 at 3:25 p.m. responded to a two-car crash at the intersection of the Leicester-Whiting Road and Route 7 in Leicester, known as Leicester Four Corners. Robert Brisson, 16, of Shoreham told police that he stopped the 2005 Toyota Camry he was driving at the intersection, checked both directions and started across Route 7 to Fern Lake Road. A collision occurred as a 2014 Camry driven northbound on Route 7 by Bryan Carson, 48, of Middlebury had nowhere to go when Brisson attempted to cross Route 7 in front of him. Brisson was uninjured, but the Brandon Area Rescue Squad took Carson to Porter Hospital to have a sore neck evaluated. Both cars sustained damage. The Brandon Fire Department responded to the scene and provided traffic control.
• On Dec. 27 at 6:25 p.m. were dispatched to a report of a motor vehicle off the road on Upper Notch Road in Lincoln. A deputy from the Addison County Sheriff’s Department also responded. The trooper reported that upon her arrival at the scene she discovered that the female driver of the car, identified as 36-year-old Shannon Gilmore-Manning of Ripton, had broken into a nearby house to request assistance. Although she was not injured during the motor vehicle incident, she obtained several deep lacerations from breaking a window of the nearby residence. No damage occurred to the motor vehicle, and it was safely removed from the snow bank. After being treated for her injuries from the broken window at Porter Hospital, police transported Gilmore-Manning to the New Haven state police barracks where she was cited for driving under the influence.
• On Dec. 28 at 4:09 a.m. responded to a single-vehicle crash on Town Line Road in New Haven. Police cited the driver, identified as Timothy Sweet, 27, of New Haven, with driving under the influence of alcohol.
• On Dec. 28 at 6:30 a.m. responded to a one-car crash on Route 100 in Granville. Police report that Matthew D. Sanders, 27, of Burlington was driving a 2008 Honda Civic northbound through the Granville Gulf when he lost control of the car, and the Civic went off the right side of the road and rolled over. There were no injuries reported but the vehicle was totaled.