LEICESTER — A June 12 blaze on Lake Dunmore Road in Leicester destroyed a home and displaced four people.
Eric Mallory, chief of the Brandon Volunteer Fire Department, said the mobile home, located on a rented lot near Cove Point, was occupied at the time by Helen Corbett, another adult female whose name he did not know, an eight-year-old and a ten-year-old.
Mallory reported Corbett said she put clothing in the clothes dryer and shortly afterward saw sparks.
NEW HAVEN –– The fact that the Green Mountain State faces an aging population and a declining number of young people in the work force is an issue that concerns many Vermonters, including former Gov. Jim Douglas.
MIDDLEBURY — With strong pitching and more than half his roster — nine of 16 — back from a team that made a 2011 run to the Vermont American Legion playoffs, Addison County Legion baseball coach Mike Estey felt positive heading into this season’s opener.
That game will be played on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m., a non-league contest vs. Bellows Falls on AC’s home field, the Middlebury College diamond.
BRISTOL — A Bristol police officer was on patrol just past midnight on June 4, traveling on Pine Street by the intersection of Taylor Avenue, when he saw a Chevy S10 truck traveling in the opposite direction with no front license plate and what the police report called an exhaust pipe that was “distinctively loud.”
Check out our annual Summer Guide, with feature stories and recommendations for the best Addison County summer activities, outdoors and in. Section B provides a calendar of events and restaurant listings to keep you busy all summer long.
Generally pollen from plants, but also mold, dust and even scents, can cause allergic reactions in some people. If you’re one of these, you don’t have to give up gardening during part of the season, or have to convert your landscape into silk flowers, gravel beds and garden gnomes or plastic flamingos. Changing some gardening practices, or choice of plants, may be all that’s needed to lessen the symptoms.
On Tuesday, Gov. Peter Shumlin gave a hug to Starksboro resident Kathy Duclos after a staged signing of a bill that seeks to revamp how the state conducts its search and rescue operations. The bill was sparked by the death of 19-year-old Levi Duclos, a Middlebury resident, who died of hypothermia three miles from the trailhead of a popular hiking area in Ripton. While his family searched into the night for the missing hiker, state police took the call at approximately 8 p.m. that winter night, but failed to send out a search party until the next morning.
Mom always told me not to boast. So I won’t.