MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police checked on a homeless camp on the railroad tracks near the Agri-Mark/Cabot plant off Exchange Street on June 17. While doing so, police said they found a backpack with two gallon-sized bags containing marijuana.
Police said the case is closed pending further information, and that they would keep the marijuana for a while then destroy it if no new information turns up. Anyone with information may call Middlebury police at 388-3191.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Received a wallet that had been found in town on June 16. Police located the owner, who picked up his property.
• Assisted the Blue Spruce Motel in dealing with a customer who refused to pay for his stay on June 16.
• Were informed of the theft of a large garden cart with bicycle wheels from a Main Street address on June 16. The owner of the garden cart said it was returned.
• Were informed of a possible sexual assault in the Sugarwood Court neighborhood on June 17. Police continue to investigate the matter.
• Cited Virginia Stewart, 49, of Middlebury for retail theft, after she allegedly stole wine from the Champlain Farms store on Court Street on June 17.
• Were informed of the theft of a large flower basket from the porch of a High Street home on June 17.
• Cited Virginia Stewart, 49, of Middlebury, for retail theft, following an alleged theft from the Champlain Farms store on Court Street on June 18.
• Investigated a report of two vehicles racing along Foote Street on June 18.
• Were informed that a youth had run away from a Butternut Ridge home on June 19. Police said the youth returned home later that day.
• Assisted Middlebury Regional EMS in assisting a local woman who had fallen and could not get up on June 19.
• Noted that someone had written graffiti in the boys’ bathroom in the E-Wing of Middlebury Union High School on June 19.
• Were informed that someone had broken into a Middlebury College storage shed off Porter Field Road on June 20. Police said mud boots, gloves and ear protection were reported missing.
• Informed Vermont Railway about a downed tree that was laying across the train tracks in the downtown area on June 20.
• Investigated a report of fireworks being shot off near the Commons housing facility off Brookside Drive and off Schoolhouse Hill Road on June 21.
• Cited John Considine, 29, of Middlebury for retail theft, after an alleged incident at Hannaford Supermarket on June 21.
• Received a report that a pair of sneakers had been stolen from Olympia Sports in The Centre shopping plaza on June 21.
• Responded to a domestic dispute at a Valley View Road residence on June 21.
• Investigated a report of gunshots in the Schoolhouse Hill Road area on June 21. Police said a person was shooting in a local sand pit.
• Ticketed a man for possession of marijuana after spotting drug paraphernalia in his car parked off Schoolhouse Hill Road on June 21.
• Investigated a suspicious package found on the side of the School House Hill Road on June 22. Police checked the package, which contained discarded belongings.
• Cited Matthew Billings, 31, of Weybridge for retail theft from the Hannaford Supermarket on June 22.
• Responded to a report between some East Main Street neighbors regarding the use of a truck on June 22.
• Cited Linus Biederman, 20, of Middlebury for driving under the influence on Cross Street on June 22.
• Found a man sleeping in a vehicle in the Rite Aid Pharmacy parking lot on Court Street on June 22. The man told police he had to sleep in his vehicle because the area hotels were booked for the night.