ADDISON COUNTY — Vermont State Police this week cited a Barton man into court for stealing and wrecking two vehicles from Hancock.
On this past Nov. 5, troopers from the Royalton VSP barracks responded to a Route 125 home in Hancock for reports of two stolen vehicles. Trooper Slusser reported that investigation revealed that Tyler Norris, 20, of Barton in the Northeast Kingdom took a vehicle owned by Ashley Brown of Hancock and crashed it nearby.
According to Slusser, Norris then went back and took a truck owned by Delena Aldrighetti and took this vehicle back to the Northeast Kingdom area. Police said Norris lit a magazine on fire inside the cab of the truck in an attempt to destroy evidence.
VSP cited Norris for two counts of driving a vehicle without the owner’s consent and two counts of grand larceny. He is due to answer the charges in Addison County Court on March 7.
In other recent activity in Addison County, VSP:
• On Jan. 2 responded to a two-vehicle accident on Monkton Road in Monkton, where, police said a 1997 Subaru driven by Annajo Smith, 18, of New Haven crossed the centerline of the snow-covered road and collided with the oncoming 2011 Ford driven by Randall Ouellette, 48, of Vergennes. Police report it was snowing. Both drivers, who were wearing seatbelts, were transported to Porter Hospital to receive treatment for their injuries.
• On Jan. 3 at 2:22 p.m. responded to a one-car accident in New Haven. Police said Jill L. Devoe, 49, of New Haven was driving a 2011 TMC Sierra 1500 eastbound on Twitchell Hill Road in New Haven when she allegedly lost control of the vehicle, collided with a guard rail on the south side of the road and subsequently traveled off the opposite side of the road. The airbag deployed and Devoe was uninjured, but the vehicle sustained moderate damage to its front end and passenger side. The trooper reported that Devoe exhibited evidence of impairment at the scene and was processed for driving under the influence at the New Haven state police barracks, where she was cited for DUI and released. The trooper said Devoe’s blood alcohol content tested at more than twice the legal limit. Devoe will also be mailed a ticket for failing to drive to the right, which, if convicted, carries a fine of $214 and four points on insurance.
• On Jan. 6 at 10 p.m. stopped a motor vehicle driven by Justin T. Miller, 21, of Essex on Route 116 in Starksboro for defective equipment. The trooper cited Miller for possession of marijuana.
• On Jan 7 were called to Big Hollow Road in Starksboro to begin investigating the report of a theft of a catalytic converter from a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The victim estimated the value of the converter at approximately $300. Community members in the Starksboro/Monkton areas are urged to be vigilant of suspicious people on their property near their vehicles. Anyone with information on this theft is asked to contact VSP New Haven at 1-802-388-4919.
• On Jan. 7 at 10:45 p.m. stopped a motor vehicle driven by Justin Malzac, 28, of Ripton on Briggs Hill Road in Lincoln. Police said Malzac’s blood alcohol content tested at 0.197 percent, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent. They cited him for driving under the influence.